Artist of the Month - January 2018

This year we will have a new Artist every month to share with us his/her handmade journey. It is inspiring and also motivational to see other people's success stories. 


January 2018 features Annabelle Debattista from Mani Macrame.




When did you start creating?
I have always been a crafty person; already at school art and crafts was my favourite subject. I remember I used to skip the boring lessons to go help the arts teacher in the art room. I have a wonderful memory in my childhood doing all kinds of arts; painting, clay pottery, puppets, papier mache' etc etc. When I left school and started working, I did not find time for crafts anymore and there was nothing pushing me in that direction, so I had stopped altogether.  




How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?
In 2014 my partner and I decided to travel to India with our daughter and I wanted to find something to do while I was travelling. Macramé was something that always interested me; loved the patterns and designs, and so I watched some tutorial videos, read some e-books and purchased my supplies. Soon enough I was making jewelry every day, I was hooked and I never stopped knotting since! 





I started selling the pieces I made while still in India and eventually created a Facebook page and posting pictures of what I was creating. To my surprise, the feedback was overwhelming. When we arrived back to Malta I had the opportunity to put some pieces in a fashion retail shop and they were selling very well. I started receiving several requests for personalized pieces. At one point I had so many orders that I could not keep doing macramé in my spare time, but had to schedule time off purposely to fulfill the orders. Several friends and family suggested that I should do this as a business but I had no idea from where to start. It was only when I met Zen that I found the final motivation and help that I needed. She suggested that I open an ETSY store and it was the best decision I took for my business.





How do you manage the work/life balance?
I currently have a full time job at our family-run business plus a 4 year old daughter, so it is challenging to find time for my creations. Sometimes days go by before I finish or start a project. Mostly I work at night when my daughter is asleep and all chores are done. I actually love working at night as it so quiet and I'm more focused at what I'm doing. The best trick however, is to always carry the stuff with me, so that I can work in the car while waiting my daughter to come out from private lessons, for example. 





What has been your best moment so far in your business?
I have to say, my best moment so far in my business was hands down when I joined ETSY. My creations were being sent all over the world, and this gave me confidence, satisfaction, and inspiration to create more and more. Last year I managed to save enough money from my ETSY sales, to pay for a well-deserved family holiday.






What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?
My advice to other hand made sellers is to keep doing what you are passionate about and never give up, even when sales are low or nonexistent - and instead focus your time and energy on creating something new. Someone somewhere will find your creations amazing. There is place for all creative people out there. Also if you are selling online, don't just post your creations and cross your fingers hoping for sales. An online shop needs regular maintenance. Learn, read and research all you can about the art of online selling. 




What's your favourite motto for motivation?
"If you do what you love, you will never have to wok a day in your life".



Follow Annabelle on:

www.facebook.com/manimacramebyannabelle

www.WhenManimetKali.Etsy.com










Comments

Popular Posts