Artist of the Month - February 2018

This month we have asked our 6 little big questions to Cheryl Camilleri, founder of Minta Clothing, where she creates and sews her own designs of fashion garments. Minta Clothing is a local pioneer in sustainability. Learn why in this interview.



When did you start creating?

I've been designing dresses since I was a child, and in 2015 I decided to actually do something about it, I took a short fashion design course and asked my Grandma to start teaching me a bit how to use patterns and to sew basic things. In 2016, I was volunteering with Garden of Smiles, in India; its a project to empower Indian women and help them be self-sufficient. I learned a lot while observing those girls on the sewing machine. Eventually, everything felt more comfortable, and later that year I started to experiment on my own.




How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?

I always dreamt of having my own fashion brand. In recent years, thanks to my travels and volunteer experiences in India and Nepal, I learned how the fashion industry exploits its workers in developing countries, paying them misery wages when the manufacturers make millions. I also learned how this industry is causing severe damage to the environment. As I started to realize this sad truth and coming to terms with it, I decided to make my brand a Social and Environmental Responsible one. To start off my venture I returned to Nepal where I could have easy access to natural fabrics, such as hemp. I worked at the shop of a local family that I knew before, and ensured that they were growing and learning with me in the process. My journey has just started and sometimes it is still kind of surreal to see Minta as an operating business venture! It is such a nice feeling to see this dream of mine coming to life and I'm very excited to see it grow and develop in time. 




How do you manage the work/life balance?

During the day I work as a full time Child Carer and I run the Minta business mostly in the evenings. I am taking a step at a time and carefully considering the next steps forward. I do not have the time nor the money to make a huge investment in the business at the moment, and honestly I am happy this way, as I love my daytime job and it is easy to manage them both. Plus I still want to have time for other things I enjoy doing, such as learning music, singing, drawing, photography and time with friends.





What has been your best moment so far in your business?

The best moment is definitely when I receive photos of customers wearing my clothes. It is a happy and nostalgic feeling at the same time. You go though a variety of emotions and you start remembering the story of their garment, from when it was just a design on paper and a bunch of fabric. Its great to see that people not only buy my clothes but appreciate them too!




What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?

To always create things that they believe in, and to always believe that they can do it!



What's your favourite motto for motivation?

My favourite motto is 'Feel the Fear and do it anyway'. I really believe that many times we know exactly what we want to do in our lives but we don't; perhaps out of fear of failure, or fear of change - and this motto helps me acknowledge my fears and my doubts, separate myself from them and do what I want to do anyway. It inspires me to dare and risk for the things I love and believe in. 




Go here to visit and shop: Minta Etsy Store 
Go here to visit: Minta Facebook page

Comments

Popular Posts