Artist of the Month - March 2018


For March we are featuring another fashion designer, but Giulia Orsi is also a Costume Designer and Costume Maker. She works in the fascinating world of movies and theater, conceptualizing and creating by hand garments from history and imagination. I bet her job is as exciting as it sounds!



When did you start creating? 
I think I've always been a creative mind and that's why I've been drawing and sewing for a long time.
After high school I decided to combine my passion for history and my illustration skills, so in 2009 I moved to Rome where I started studying at the 'Accademia Italiana di Arte, Moda e Design' (Italian Academy of Art, Fashion & Design) and in 2012 I graduated in Costume Design. During my academic path I had the chance to deepen my knowledge of costume history and historical cut and patterns, costume design techniques and theatrical dressmaking.



How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?
Actually it wasn’t in my plans to have my own brand, it started out like a coincidence. I already knew how to make a costume or a dress. Everything happened after a short working experience in an atelier, where I improved more and more my sewing skills. All the customers were really happy of my creations, so I finally mustered the courage to do something on my own. I made several mock-ups, trying to get customers' attention by searching for specific materials and patterns. I’m still on my way and I am quite optimistic.




How do you manage the work/life balance?
As a freelance my working time is unpredictable. During theatrical or movie productions, I work as a full time crew member and it means that I have to pause everything else. But sometimes it may happen that I have to fulfill an order during the production weeks. In these cases, my social time gets affected, but I know that eventually I will find time to enjoy friends and hobbies.




What has been your best moment so far in your business?
The best moment was last January during a cultural event. I made a costume for a project, based on an idea of some Maltese and Gozitan school children. One of the young girl involved in the project, came face to face with this costume and it was exactly how she expected. She couldn’t stop looking at it with pride in her eyes. It was a really touching moment. It's always a great emotion since every costume has its own story, whether I’m the designer or the dressmaker.



What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?
To devote all themselves on their creativity and in what they’are doing. 



What's your favourite motto for motivation?
My favourite motto is “Don’t dream it. Be it" (from The Rocky Horror Picture Show). It doesn’t matter how many times I'll have to start again or how many mistakes I’ll make. All the matter is that every success and every failure are something real that leads me to improve myself.


Comments

Popular Posts