Artist of the month - April 2018


This month we met with Robbie Mazzaro, who talked to us about her amazing ceramic creations. Bright, refreshing, pleasant to the eye and with an incredible attention to detail, these work of arts are a sure way to start dreaming of the sun and the sea!



When did you start creating?

It all started when I was very young. At school I used to draw on all my books and diaries with different colours and patterns. I loved to modify anything I could get my hands on. Painting and drawing have always been the most pleasant way to spend my free time. I've always been fascinated by handmade creations and I remember myself going at artisan markets and observing the colours and design behind the various products.
When I was 18 I was planning to study for an art degree, but a series of events led me to move to Italy, so my art project had to be postponed. For some time I worked as graphic designer, which still gave me the opportunity to be creative, and then I moved on to a different job that gave me better stability but took me away from the artistic path.





How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?

After some years working in a commercial department, I attended a basic ceramic course, and immediately fell in love with it. I had finally discovered my artistic medium that allowed me to express myself best, so I left my job and dedicated myself fully to ceramics by sitting for a 1 year master class in Rome.
I finally managed to open up my own studio and I soon started participating at events and local fairs.
Five years ago, I moved to Malta with my family and I continued with my ceramic project. In Malta my business has significantly evolved, I have been attending several individual and collective exhibitions, and participated regularly at the artisan markets. Recently I created my own website and opened an Etsy store.




How do you manage the work/life balance?

When you are a mother of two lovely girls, and run your own business, you HAVE to be very well organized!
Initially, the only time i could concentrate and focus on my clay was in the evening after the girls were sleeping. Now I have my own studio attached to the house and this gives me the opportunity to maximize the time I can dedicate to my creations. Working with clay is not only a way to express myself, but it is also a way to control my stress level and to intrigue my senses. 





What has been your best moment so far in your business?

My first solo exhibition "Sea Breeze" at Palazzo de La Salle, in Malta has been one of my best achievements so far. Having the opportunity to see my pieces after months of work, in a beautiful location and receiving great feedback from visitors was a unique refreshing motivation; an incentive to move forward with my work.




What is your one piece of advice to other hand made sellers?

Motivation is very important and never give up looking for the personal and unique touch.




What's your favorite motto for motivation?

'Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.'
W. Clement Stone








Comments

Popular Posts