Artist of the Month - June 2018

As we enter the wedding season, we have met up with Adalia Bonnici from AB Headpieces, and her incredible art of head-dresses. She tells us about her interesting journey with her amazing creations that have the power to transform women into princesses, at least for a day!


When did you start creating?
It actually started in 2008, at this particular photo shoot for a calendar; the dress the setting, everything seemed like it was not quite enough so I suggested to create a striking headpiece for the model to wear...and my love for this art evolved from that moment on. However, well and truly, it was only at the beginning of 2014 that I decided to actually take the art of Millinery more seriously and focus more on bespoke custom tailor-made headpieces for special occasions such as weddings, holy communions, baptisms and fashion events.



How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?
Back in 2014 i started creating headpieces for weddings for myself, family and friends. Every time my work was worn i started getting more requests from friends of friends and acquaintances so I started creating even more different styles every time. In 2016 I was invited to take part with a solo fashion show at the Malta fashion week. It was my first time I had professional photos taken of my work and it was good coverage displaying my artistic pieces and various fashion bloggers wrote very positive and encouraging comments on me. I decided to create a Facebook page and display all the new pieces I create. The likes and the positive comments gave me a boost to take this even more serious. I enrolled in more courses and visited more millinery work shops and tutorials and invested in more millinery materials and equipment and practiced further in fabric manipulation and embellishments.
It is only as of beginning of May this year that I followed my decision to resign from my full time office job as business development & marketing manager, to just focus on my family quality time and what I enjoy doing most....creating custom-made bespoke headpieces.




How do you manage the work/life balance?
I must admit, I'm quite organised and strict on time management and prior to this month I used to work full time, collect my daughter from her grandma, spend some quality time with her and my husband and start working on my headpieces when they both fall asleep. The lack of sleep, although not so healthy, paid off for my pavement to take my 'hobby' as a full time. I have been fully booked this month creating a full collection for Malta Fashion Week and also with clients' orders and thankfully I only have a few available spots for the remaining months of summer. Now I am even more thankful for more time on my hands to spend with my family and sleep longer hours and looking forward to the coming year of creating new headpieces for clients and to learn new techniques and to try my best to always improve.



What has been your best moment so far?
This month I was approached by a mother who was familiar with my work online and asked me to create a full head-wear cover for her 3 year old princess who has lost all her hair due to the terrible monster leukemia. I created it with the utmost love and attention to detail and seeing the photo she sent me of her daughter wearing my headpiece with a huge grin on her beautiful face.... most definitely my best happy and emotional moment so far.



What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?
You never know enough. Always keep a look out for new advancing techniques and new products and materials in the market. Competition is always increasing so you need to always be at the top of the list and challenge yourself to be better but to never stop enjoying what you are doing.



What’s your favourite motto for motivation?
Giving up is easy but not worth the previous sacrifice and time invested. When things get normal and boring try to encourage yourself to do new things and search possible ways to get excited again on what you do best.




Fashion Week Photo Credits: Justin Ciappara & Bernard Polidano

AB Headpieces




Comments

Popular Posts