Artist of the month - July 2018

This month we meet Catherine Dando. She has the talent of taking something old and transform it into something new. She loves to hunt for old pieces of furniture that other people throws away. The perfect example of 'One man's trash is another man's treasure'... or woman in this case! Here is the story of Catherine Mia Designs.




When did you start creating?
I have always had a fascination with creating things. Even as a kid I would spend my time drawing or working with glass, more specifically traditional stained glass. As I grew older I became more focused on the old and how I could re-purpose items into something unique and beautiful, saving them from ending up in the skip and being destroyed. 




How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?
At first it started out of necessity, I needed a wardrobe for my daughter but couldn't afford the money for a new one so I did what I know best and went hunting for one that was about to be thrown away. I managed to find one that needed a lot of TLC and after many hours of sanding and painting it now stands beautifully in my daughter's bedroom. I ended up doing a few more projects like that for myself and as more and more people started commenting and asking how to do it, I figured why not start a business for myself? So I did, using only Facebook and Instagram I have managed to build up a loyal following where I try to share as much information as possible so other people can also start doing what I am doing - in fact, just recently, someone asked if they could spend a day with me so they could learn more and see how I take a piece from start to finish. It was great fun and I am super grateful that people are that interested in what I do.




How do you manage the work/life balance?
With difficulty! Actually, for me, it's a constant give and take, I don't think I have ever achieved the elusive "balance". With two young kids things are very unpredictable and I try and squeeze as much time as possible for creating when I am not helping my son with homework or changing my daughter's nappie or arguing with her about why it is not a good idea to wear daddy's shoes. 




What has been your best moment so far?
There are two actually, having someone wanting to spend a day with me to learn more about what I do and receiving my very first cheque with my business name on it - cheesy I know... but hey! :)




What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?
Be authentic in every aspect of your business whether it is creating a piece for sale at a market or designing a bespoke item for a private client. Be you and don't lose your focus.




What's your favourite motto for motivation?
No matter how scary it is to try something new, it is even scarier to have never tried at all.






CATHERINE MIA DESIGNS


Comments

Popular Posts