Artist of the month - October 2018

This month we meet an artist who found her inspiration after becoming a mom. Who knew that her newborn's tiny hands, playing with that necklace, would inspire such a beautiful brand to come to life? 


Maurine Tanti, founder of Momo's, perfectly combined necessity with practicality and infused the result with her amazing talent for creativity and innovation. Her handmade journey is one of seizing the day and never stop creating! In fact, Momo's have increased their product range from Teething Jewellery to Nursery Wall Art, Wooden Toys, Baby Shower Gift Sets and recently also Children's Book Sets.  

Read her inspiring story and make sure to check out her website! 



How did you start creating?


After my daughter Nora was born, 2 and a half years ago, I soon realized that I wasn't going to be able to wear jewellery around her. She was just too quick to pull on my necklace or bracelets and always wanted to stick them in her mouth. I researched online for safe jewellery that I could wear and came across a type of jewellery that had a dual purpose; not only I could wear necklaces that were safe, but could double up as a teething toy to soothe her sore gums if she gnawed on them. 



How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?

I looked for safe materials and inspirations to make jewellery for myself at first, and then discovered that I could also make pacifier clips and teething toys for my little one. In May I launched my website to sell my jewellery and teethers. Later I also invested in a wood engraver to be able to personalise the wood beads in pacifier clips, teethers and more. Moreover, recently I teamed up with Mint Wellness and Tettiera and created specific gift boxes with my teethers, organic natural baby products and even tea to be gifted in baby showers or for a new mum.



How do you manage the work/life balance?

When my daughter was born, I decided to take a break and dedicate my time to her so at the moment I am lucky enough with the help and support of my partner to be able to create full time. I like to work on my jewellery in the early hours of the morning when everyone is still asleep. I find that a clear mind, silence and a good cup of coffee are a perfect combination for inspiration.



What has been your best moment so far?

The best moment is always when I receive messages from mothers that bought my jewellery or teethers saying that the products were helpful during those oh so long teething months.




What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?

Don't delay launching your new business because of trivial things. As I was putting together our website I would sometimes get hung-up on pictures or item descriptions that weren't perfect in my mind. I wasted a couple of months delaying our launch. The truth is there will always be something that could be better; but do not use that as an excuse. A good business will continually evolve after gaining feedback and experience.




What's your favourite motto for motivation?

You never achieve success until you like what you are doing.


Momo's

Website & Online Store: https://www.momos.com.mt

Comments

Popular Posts