Artist of the Month - January

Jewelry making is probably the number one most common artisan category and the most saturated market. So the question is, can you still build a successful business making jewellery? The answer is Yes - as long as you are innovative: people are tired of seeing the same styles; as long as you target a particular niche: not all pieces are perfect for everybody - as long as it is contemporary: understanding upcoming trends and colours is vital. Then, of course, you need to be committed to manage all the many facets of the business. Suzanne Bencini from Sue's Jewels is a great example of a splendid and fruitful home-based jewelry business. 







When did you start creating?

Ever since I was a little girl I was always fascinated by gemstones and jewelry. Whenever I found any loose beads or broken necklaces of my mum, I used to go and buy some string and bead something different for myself. During my teenage years, I did not have too much time to dedicate to my creativity as I was busy with school and spending time out with friends, and after that I entered University and got side-tracked. 





How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?

After University studying Psychology and Communications - and I still have no idea why I chose those subjects - I started working in office jobs, which I must admit gave me zero satisfaction. Sitting at a desk behind a computer all day used to drive me up the wall. So I quit and went travelling for 13 months to Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Asia. It was a wonderful self-discovery experience, where I had lot of time to think and wonder about what I truly wanted in life. Thankfully, there I rediscovered my creative side and found my love for making jewelry. And never looked back after that. Today, besides attending artisan fairs and have clients visiting my studio, I have my collection showcased within a few exclusive outlets such as Camilleri Paris Mode, The Corinthia Hotels, The Grand Excelsior and a few other locations around the island. Recently I started working with clay sculpting and it is something I absolutely love. At the moment my business leaves me with very little time to dedicate myself to something new, but you never know what could happen, right?







How do you manage the work/life balance?

With my magic wand :)
It is not easy, but not impossible. Prioritizing is the key for me. 



What has been your best moment so far?


Hard to tell.. each step of the way has been special within itself. I love what I do and I see it as a successful progress rather than pinpoint one particular moment.




What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?

Always follow your heart and not the crowd. In the sense that we should not be afraid to be different. Talents are not to be wasted - if you have one, grab the bull by the horns and jump into it with a full open heart!






What's your favourite motto for motivation?

Believe in yourself.







Follow Sue's Jewels on Facebook


Comments

Popular Posts