Artist of the Month - February

It suddenly occurred to me that all Artists of the Month featured so far, were women, so isn't is time to feature a male? Ryan Cassar is the founder of Earthly, a wood burning business that is sustainable, environmental friendly and currently blooming with opportunities never thought of before! This is the beauty of being an artisan: you focus on doing what you love, with passion and excellence, and the path will be fruitful and rewarding.



When did you start creating?

I discovered this passion recently, approximately a year ago, while I was travelling India and I was deeply inspired by their culture and way of living. I decided to know more and learn about the hand crafted wood work that I saw there and since I always loved wood, I took it as a sign to start creating some of my own. Besides, India introduced me to a world of natural herbs, essential oils and spices and right after I arrived from India, I took a short course about Herbalism and Self-Healing and started experimenting and creating my own herbal remedies such as bath salts, scrubs, face masks, etc. However the wood burning products were much better received and increased in demand, so I am focusing on that now. 




How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?

It all started as a hobby. Drawing was something that I used to do since I was a child and this was my way of coming up with something different, something improvised. I bought the necessary tools and equipment, and started creating. Everything evolved well as I continued to do progress in my practice and gaining valuable experience. I started participating at events to promote my work at markets such as Earth Garden, Beer Festival and Consciousness Festival. 




How do you manage the work/life balance?

Managing the balance between work and life Is an essential part of life I think. To me, art is life so it doesn't seem like work at all. Sometimes it feels like work when I am doing a custom order as perhaps I cannot express my creativity in full. Recently I had orders such as doors, cover-ups, refurbishments, shelves, etc and I am loving how new customers approach me and ask me to create something I probably never even though ot. In my spare time, I like to follow my other passions which are skateboarding, camping, fishing, guitar and singing. 



What has been your best moment so far?

I try to keep life as 'one best moment so far' ... but if I had to chose, I would say that my travels in India made me grow not only as an artist, for which I am very grateful, but also, and most importantly, as a human being. India makes you see everything from a new perspective, helps you open your mind and connect with your spiritual side. It made me realize that less is more and it was an important moment of realization for me. I understand that life was made to be simple, but we have managed to complicate it unnecessarily!



What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing - you're great! Every artist is unique in their own special way. Nothing is easy but without the hard work it is just too simple. Don't think about the changes you desire or cannot control, just do it! Life is too short!




What's your favourite motto for motivation?

This is a short quote that I created for myself and that I believe in strongly.
''Impossible: Never. I'm possible: Always!''



Comments

Popular Posts