Artist of the Month - April

For April - the month of scents and flowers - we present you an Artist of the Month who creates not just candles, but luxury triple-scented candles with over 45 hour of burning, bestowing the most sublime aromas of a myriad of spices, fruit and other perfumed elements, invoking beautiful memories and amazing fantasies. Meet  the gorgeous lady that has built the beautiful and successful brand of Burlesque through skill, passion, determination and joie de vivre! Read about Jo Montebello's story in this post. 




When did you start creating?

I created Burlesque Candles in 2006, 12 years ago, when I was living in Sydney Australia.







How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?
I always loved fragrances, and used to work as a Fine Fragrance Trainer with a company called Trimex, which imported all the French and Italian fragrances into Australia. In addition to perfume I also loved luxury scented candles and would spend a fortune on them... Luxury scented candles are not cheap! So one day a friend suggested I try making some using natural soy wax, so I decided to give it a go. I made some for myself and gave a few away to friends as Christmas presents. Those first ones weren't very good, it took a lot of  trials and errors, but I persevered because I actually loved the process of making candles. For me it's one of the most creative and relaxing things I can do. When friends started asking me to make more, and they'd pay me, I knew I was onto a good thing :)






How do you manage the work/life balance?
I've always juggled several things at one go, I suppose being a single mum of two daughters taught me how to plan, multi task, and try and get everything done. I'm also the sort of person that hates to be idle... my biggest challenge was always putting time aside to put my feet up and rest. But I've learnt that it's important to be as organised as possible so you have 'down time' to enjoy the fruits of your work. At Christmas time life gets very hectic as it's the busiest season, so I give up my usual day work as a teacher, and concentrate on making and fulfilling orders. It's always the most exciting time of year.





What has been your best moment so far?

To be honest every year the business just keeps getting better. I have had so many highlights over the past 12 years from working with my graphic designer friend Martin, who created the Burlesque Babes, to blending new and wonderful scents. But I'd have to say when I launched one of my more recent fragrances, Undine LaVerve, which was created after a real Burlesque dancer here in Malta, I felt I'd really made it! We had a big launch party at a bar in Valletta, and Undine herself performed several sensual Burlesque routines. It was amazing! And all the guests had a fabulous time, including me! Needless to say the fragrance has gone on to become a best seller.




What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?
Don't ever compromise on quality... it's what sets 'handmade' goods apart from factory pieces that are mass produced. If people don't understand the creativity and originality that goes into your work, then your product is not for them.... plenty of other more discerning customers will value it. It takes a certain amount of security and faith in what you do to be successful, because there will always be people who just don't get it. Just stay true to what you love and keep striving to improve it every day.





What's your favourite motto for motivation?


If you love what you do, you'll never need to work another day in your life!







Follow Burlesque Candles





Comments

Popular Posts