Artist of the Month - July

Recently she launched a Crowdfunding campaign to bring her latest project to life - an ethical project that is also environmentally friendly and creates positive change! Her idea is to use quality fabrics that large fashion houses throw away as scraps. The project is about creating new stylish products and at the same time help reduce waste. Gabriella Lukas from Gabe Boutique Malta is a bag and accessory fashion designer encouraging people to celebrate their uniqueness by being original as opposed to following others' trails. 




When did you start creating?

I started to create bags and accessories in 2009. Back then it was only a hobby as I was working as a full time film industry professional. I worked as a freelance casting director and was working on fantastic movie projects, photo-shoots and commercials. I had the opportunity to work with the most inspiring people of our time. However I needed to express myself creatively and creating handbags was a great way for me to do that. AT first I only made bags and accessories for myself and started to wear them. I used left over materials and tried different techniques to find my own style.




How did you start the business and how did it evolve today?

When I started to wear my creations, I noticed how suddenly a lot of people were interested about them. They loved them and I started to make small sales. First my friends started to order, then more and more people got interested. I created my brand called GABE and started to sell my products in Budapest. Then with a help of my friends I made some small sales in Italy too. After moving to Malta I set up a new social media page as I started to concentrate onto the Maltese market. Malta was such a huge inspiration for me that I still want to mainly focus here. For now I’m trying to get more visibility to promote my products and increase the sales. I have a lot of support here for which I’m extremely grateful. Especially with my new project called 'revive' which will be created of quality left over materials working together with local brands from different industries.




How do you manage the work/life balance?

I still have a part time job to pay all my expenses and to constantly invest into materials and machinery. I am currently working on my pitch to launch a crowd funding campaign, in order to be able to set up the company and operate on full steam. So after work hours I switch my attention onto that. I collaborate with some shops and create special items for them to enrich their collections. When possible I go to events and markets to promote my products. Of course I also love spending time in my workshop creating new beautiful items. However busy it gets, I always make sure to find time to rest and recharge my batteries. It is important for me to make time for everything, including making time for my friends and family. For me quality time with the people I love and time working on my creations are vital, so I avoid anything or anyone who tries to rob me of this precious time. I go often to the sea...the only place that can put me back in harmony right away...I love the sea.




What has been your best moment so far?

Definitely winning the Negroni 100 Art competition! It was an exciting and inspiring task to dive into. The preparation and the research for the Campari competition took me one month. I researched all the history of Campari, studied all the artists who have worked with the company and who created the beautiful artworks through the years. I kept in mind the three most important elements after we had the competition announcement. Claudia Attard from Farsons group gave us a very detailed briefing what to pay attention to. The main things were: that first of all Campari and Negroni is an Italian brand and as such art and fashion is always an important aspect, that's why I chose to create a pouch. Then the components of the famous drink Negroni: its colours and texture, the essential ice and orange piece. Finally, one of the most important details: simplicity. So in my art work I tried to pay attention to all those details. I am extremely proud and honored that my art piece won the competition and I get the chance to collaborate with Campari until December.


What is your one piece of advice to other handmade sellers?

An item has to be created with love and care and of excellent quality materials. Because it will show on the item we create, whatever the product may be. Your customer will appreciate and love these details so much more, especially nowadays when in the world of 'fast fashion' everything is cheap and low quality.




What's your favourite motto for motivation?

'An essential aspect of creativity is not to be afraid to fail'. 




Follow Gabe Boutique Malta


Facebook

Read more about GABE's Crowdfunding campaign.
Link: http://www.zaar.com.mt/projects/gabe
There are seriously amazing rewards for all those who contribute! 



Comments

Popular Posts